Following are some electrical safety tips which are most beneficial to the industrial workers, who are working in risky areas. Have a check!
- Use a checklist to make sure that everything is OK and safe before starting work.
- Inspect tools, equipment and electrical fittings for damage or wear prior to each use. Repair or replace damaged equipment immediately.
- Use cords or equipment that are rated for the level of amperage or wattage that you are using.
- Do not use outlets or cords that have exposed wiring. Do not use power tools with the guards removed.
- Remember that the risk of electric shock is greater in areas that are wet or damp. Take proper caution.
- Check power cords and plugs daily. Discard if worn or damaged.
- Replace broken 3-prong plugs and make sure the third prong is properly grounded.
- Never use extension cords as permanent wiring.
- Do not plug several power cords into one outlet.
- Do not disconnect power supplies by pulling or jerking the cords from the outlets.
- Always use the correct size fuse or breaker.
- Be aware that unusually warm or hot outlets may be a sign that unsafe wiring conditions exists.
- Use proper PPE for the electrical job. Always use ladders made of wood or other non-conductive materials when working with or near electricity or power lines.
- Keep equipment such as ladders, cranes, man-lifts, and scaffolds away from power lines and live electrical wires.
To demonstrate electrical safety at your workplace, Kaizen India has developed a wide range of electrical safety posters covering all the major subjects.