Christmas is a time when your home is filled with guests and relatives, the excitement and celebration may cause few accidents if precautions are been taken. On a brighter note Christmas is the time when there are many people around to watch kids playing around and with more care and forward planning, most accidents could be averted.
The following 12 safety tips can save you a trip to the casualty during festive time:
1. Ensure to purchase kid’s gifts as per their age group and from trusted retailers, and ensure they comply to safety standards.
2. Don’t forget to get batteries for toys so you need not remove batteries from smoke alarms.
3. Keep an eye for small items such as parts that have fallen off toys or from Christmas trees, button batteries, and burst balloons that could choke young kids.
4. Make sure to keep decorations and cards away from fire and any other heat sources such as light fittings. Never leave burning candles unattended – Always put them out before going to bed – and candles should not be put on Christmas trees.
5. Many a times old Christmas lights, might not meet much higher safety standards, so plan to buy a new one and don’t let children play with them.
6. Xmas decorations are not toys, even if they look alike and they never have toy safety regulations compliance certification. Try mounting them higher on a Xmas tree so they are out of the reach of kids.
7. Plan, prepare and cook Christmas dinner well prior any accidents while rushing. These accidents may include boiling water spillage and sharp knife accidents etc. Those who are not helping in the kitchen should stay out of the room to avoid any chaos. Wipe up any spills as and when happens.
8. Keep scissors handy to open gifts and boxes, to avoid use of a knife, and use screwdrivers to assemble toys.
9. Beware of trailing cables and wires in the rush to connect new gadgets and appliances, and always read instructions
10. Try and have a clutter free house during the festive season as Falls are the most common accidents. Keep stairs well-lit and obstacles free when you have guests coming over.
11. New Year fireworks parties must be planned well in advance and never forget to adhere to firework code.
12. Last but not the least avoid driving while drunk. Well planned long journeys wont make you feel tired.